Spice Village Resort in Periyar
Location :140 kms. from Airport, 108 from Railway Station .... Star Rating : 4 Star
Total Rooms :52 Rooms
Amenities : Room Service, H/C Running Water, Telephone TV ....
Set in the heart of the Cardamom Hills of Kerala, Spice Village is an unprecedented tourist destination, offering a rare opportunity to enjoy South India's wildlife and beauty. The village lies just outside Periyar Tiger Reserve, and a stay here is the perfect way to appreciate and respect the environment. This is a place for everyone who loves nature: somewhere to fill your lungs with fresh mountain air, to savour the rich fragrance of cinnamon and cloves, to watch young elephants drinking at the water's edge. The resort itself provides every comfort the modern traveller could wish for - luxurious accommodation, mouth-watering cuisine, and an exclusive swimming pool.
Recreating the mood of the local tribal community, our architects have designed individual cottages amongst a landscaped spice garden. Each dwelling is thatched with elephant grass and offers simple luxury and privacy. Throughout the village, the atmosphere is relaxed and enchanting. We can arrange for an exhilarating water safari across Lake Periyar, a visit to a nearby coffee plantation, even a trek deep into the tropical forest.
Description Of Spice Village, Periyar
Spice Village is in Kumily, a small settlement three kilometres from Thekkady, the main entrance to the Periyar Tiger Reserve. The design of each cottage was inspired by the native tribesmen of Periyar, the Oorali and Mannan, who lived in similar dwellings. Infact, one of the cottages currently being used as an office, is an original tribal hut which has been modified. A number of creature comforts have been added, however, to make your stay a luxurious one.
Location of Spice Village, Periyar
140 kms. from Airport, 108 from Railway Station
Jan - Mar: Cool, dry
April - May: Summer
June - August: Monsoon
Sept - Dec: Pleasant, dry
Things to do
Boat ride in Periyar lake, trekking in Periyar forest, Tiger reserve, spice plantation visit, 'Learn to cook with spices'.
Facilities at Spice Village, Periyar
Room Service, H/C Running Water, Telephone, TV, Channel Music, Safe Deposit, Swimming pool, badminton, tennis, Ayurveda Centre & indoor games, Regular doctors on call.
Accomodation at Spice Village, Periyar
The rooms are spacious and furnished with simple sophistication: terracotta tiled floors, wooden beds and chairs, and whitewashed walls. ( To preserve the environment, the furniture has been crafted using pine from Cochin's historic docks. ) There is also a telephone, a fan, an en suite bathroom with hot running water, and an efficient laundry service. A verandah runs round the entire cottage, and each dwelling is set in its own land. At the centre of the village is a swimming pool, surrounded by tropical trees and lawns.
The Village offers many other facilities, including a conference hall and games room, complete with table tennis, caroom and chess boards, and a floodlit outdoor badminton court. The highlight, though, is the garden itself, bursting with a rich array of spice trees. Each plant is carefully marked ( giving the English and Latin names ), and there is a botanist at hand to answer any question.
Leisure Activities at Spice Village, Periyar
The accommodations combined together with the virginal beauty of nature, delicately cascades to an immaculate beach exclusively enjoyed by Somatheeram. Somatheeram Ayurvedic Beach Resort is packed with fun and activities; like indoor games, fishing, boating, cultural programmes etc.
Water Safari : There are several ways to explore the Periyar Tiger Reserve. The most popular is by boat, which allows visitors to watch animals drinking at the lakeside. Two hour trips are booked at the Spice Village, and the best chance of sighting animals is in the early morning or at dusk. It's an eerie sensation passing by the forest branches which poke out from the water, stretching through the mist like dead men's fingers. Many animals come to the water's edge and it is one of the few places in the world where elephants can be observed at close quarters from the safety of a boat.
Forest Treks : It can be arranged for you to venture deep into the tropical forests. Accompanied by a tribal guide, you will be dropped off by boat at the far end of the lake, from where you proceed on foot, quickly leaving behind the crowds. It is only safe to travel at certain times of the day, but your guide will know more about the jungle than the wild animals which roam the savannah grasslands and woods.
Cookery Demonstration : For those who want more than just a taste of the delicious Kerala cuisine, cooking classes are held by the Chef every evening. You get to see for yourself how the dishes are so carefully made. You could also try your hand with the earthenware pots and pans and make your own variation of the Kerala savouries.
The Kerala fish curry, appam, avial, etc. have a very exotic flavour. The method of preparation is so different that it makes Kerala cuisine very distinct and liked by all. Enough reasons to watch, learn and try for yourself.
Spice Village Ayurvedic Center
Ayurveda, the Science of Life, is almost as old as the Indian civilisation. It's holistic approach, the efficacy of its therapies and the absence of distressing side affects are some of its more salient features. Throughout the world there is a rising awareness of the benefits of natual health systems. Health in the ayurvedic view represents the Harmony of body, mind and soul. It's pharmacopia is nature herself and its diagnostic and curative tools have been derived from the invaluable legacy of insights, experience and knowledge bequeathed to posterity by its great masters. It is based on natural principles that inform and animate human life. The Spice Village offers the following therapies at it's Ayurvedic Centre under the guidance of an expert " vaidyan " ( physician ) whom you may consult for a fuller understanding of symptoms and appropriate treatment. It is well equipped with a dispensary and qualified resident staff.
- The driver Krishna was outstanding, polite, well-dressed and very patient. The road conditions were hazardous at times, but he negotiated them very capably. This is the second time I have used your company and I am extremely satisfied with your service. I will continue to recommend your company to colleagues visiting India and will be in touch for my next trip.......said Randy Bindra, USA travelled through us from 04 Mar. to 09 Mar. 2013
- We would like to thank you and your colleagues for a very well organised three week holiday. We thoroughly enjoyed it and everything worked very well. The overnight on the houseboat was a wonderful experience, it was such a change from being on the busy road, and to have the peace, silence and tranquillity for nearly 24 hours was indeed very nice. So, we can also recommend that and the two crew were very good indeed, and we thoroughly enjoyed the meals they provided for us. It was really good experience..........said Ketty Tomes, UK travelled through us from 28 Jan. to 17 Feb. 2013
- Thank you very much for great trip in India. My 4th trip to India has made that I'm more addicted to India than I was before (I thought that I couldn't be more addicted but I was wrong). I tell only positive things to all my friends about my trip and TSI. Maybe my girl friend decides to visit South India with 3 other girls. I also look forward to visit Ladakh and Kashmir.........said Robert, Poland travelled through us from 29 Jan. to 13 Feb. 2013
- Dear Manoj,
Everyone is safely home again after our spice discovery tour, and we can definitely consider it one of our successes. Once again you won everyone's hearts with your thoughtfulness and thoroughness in all our activities. I don't know how we would have coped with the flight cancellations between Udaipur and Madurai if you had not been there to sort it out! ..............said Liz and Ian, Australia travelled through us from 13 Jan. to 29 Jan. 2013
- Dear Manoj,
Our tour of your wonderful country was fantastic. I was returning, after 36 years, but it was Helen's first time and she loved every minute of the amazing journey. Our precious eighteen days seemed to stretch - there was so much to see and do! Each night we went to bed tired, and occasionally exhausted. And so, we really appreciated the extra effort made by all the Indian hotels to provide us with additional length in our double beds. Thanks you for making those arrangements. We were always very comfortable at night so we woke up refreshed, ready to enjoy the delights of the next day.........said Helen & Richard Walker, Australia travelled through us from 13 Jan. to 29 Jan. 2013
- We just want to thank for the amazing service provided to us. We are very happy and impressed with all assistance and support you gave us during the whole trip......said Manha Cleusa, Brazil travelled through us from 22 Oct. to 02 Nov. 2012
- We have enjoyed our trip to India and will certainly recommend TSI to any friends who wish to visit your beautiful country.....Dr. Chanvit, Thailand travelled through us from 11 Feb. to 20 Feb. 2012