Types of Spas
There are several types of spas: day spa; salon/spa; destination spa; resort spa; hotel spa; club and medispa.
The day spa offers spa treatments, such as massages, facials and body treatments, on a day-use basis. Most offer manicures and pedicures as well. Many hair salons have added day spas, which allow you to combine spa and beauty services in one day.
Facilities will vary at day spas, but most have treatment rooms, a mediation or waiting room, and a locker room with showers. A "wet room" is a tiled room with special shower facilities for more elaborate body treatments. Hydrotherapy tubs are not that common at day spas, but desirable.
The Destination Spa offers a complete spa experience in an overnight setting (most require a two or three-night minimum stay.) Its sole purpose is to provide mind and body fitness, healthy eating, spa treatments and relaxation.
There is a great range in terms of size, style and luxury, but the facilities should be more elaborate and extensive than the average days spa. Ideally it will have hydrotherapy tubs, wet rooms, steambaths, saunas and some unusual treatments. Expect a wide selection of exercise and stress reduction classes, as well as outdoor activities. It should have gyms for working out, swimming pools, tennis courts, and sometimes Pilates studios. Classes and lectures are part of the programming. Healthy spa cuisine is generally included in the price. While some treatments are included, you will probably want additional services. Some destination spas allow non-guests to book services on a day use basis. Others are limited to guests.
The Resort Spa is a facility that is just one of the many guest amenities at the resort, not the sole or primary attraction. This can be a good choice when one person loves spas and the other loves golf. Check your package: treatments and exercise classes may not be included. Meals are almost certainly a la carte. While there will be some spa cuisine, you can wash down your steak with a bottle of wine. (Some destination spas forbid alcohol.)
The Club spa is attached to a fitness club, and the Hotel Spa is generally a luxury facility attached to an upscale urban hotel. Finally, the medispa has been popping up in large cities. It offers treatments that require a doctor's supervision, such as laser resurfacing and Botox injections, in addition to traditional spa services.
- The driver Krishna was outstanding, polite, well-dressed and very patient. The road conditions were hazardous at times, but he negotiated them very capably. This is the second time I have used your company and I am extremely satisfied with your service. I will continue to recommend your company to colleagues visiting India and will be in touch for my next trip.......said Randy Bindra, USA travelled through us from 04 Mar. to 09 Mar. 2013
- We would like to thank you and your colleagues for a very well organised three week holiday. We thoroughly enjoyed it and everything worked very well. The overnight on the houseboat was a wonderful experience, it was such a change from being on the busy road, and to have the peace, silence and tranquillity for nearly 24 hours was indeed very nice. So, we can also recommend that and the two crew were very good indeed, and we thoroughly enjoyed the meals they provided for us. It was really good experience..........said Ketty Tomes, UK travelled through us from 28 Jan. to 17 Feb. 2013
- Thank you very much for great trip in India. My 4th trip to India has made that I'm more addicted to India than I was before (I thought that I couldn't be more addicted but I was wrong). I tell only positive things to all my friends about my trip and TSI. Maybe my girl friend decides to visit South India with 3 other girls. I also look forward to visit Ladakh and Kashmir.........said Robert, Poland travelled through us from 29 Jan. to 13 Feb. 2013
- Dear Manoj,
Everyone is safely home again after our spice discovery tour, and we can definitely consider it one of our successes. Once again you won everyone's hearts with your thoughtfulness and thoroughness in all our activities. I don't know how we would have coped with the flight cancellations between Udaipur and Madurai if you had not been there to sort it out! ..............said Liz and Ian, Australia travelled through us from 13 Jan. to 29 Jan. 2013
- Dear Manoj,
Our tour of your wonderful country was fantastic. I was returning, after 36 years, but it was Helen's first time and she loved every minute of the amazing journey. Our precious eighteen days seemed to stretch - there was so much to see and do! Each night we went to bed tired, and occasionally exhausted. And so, we really appreciated the extra effort made by all the Indian hotels to provide us with additional length in our double beds. Thanks you for making those arrangements. We were always very comfortable at night so we woke up refreshed, ready to enjoy the delights of the next day.........said Helen & Richard Walker, Australia travelled through us from 13 Jan. to 29 Jan. 2013
- We just want to thank for the amazing service provided to us. We are very happy and impressed with all assistance and support you gave us during the whole trip......said Manha Cleusa, Brazil travelled through us from 22 Oct. to 02 Nov. 2012
- We have enjoyed our trip to India and will certainly recommend TSI to any friends who wish to visit your beautiful country.....Dr. Chanvit, Thailand travelled through us from 11 Feb. to 20 Feb. 2012